- Locations: 15 Umar Ibn Al-Khattab Street, Jordan
- Duration: One semester ( 3 - 4 months )
- Expand active vocabulary and commonly used formal expressions
- Engage with a wide variety of texts and topics
- Understand and summarize some extended speech on a variety of familiar and some unfamiliar topics from a variety of media
- Understand many different types of texts
- Understand subtle points of familiar texts and information from unfamiliar topics
- State and support views and be active discussants on familiar topics and some unfamiliar topics in formal Arabic
- Deliver a presentation on a variety of topics
- Express ideas in writing using detailed narratives, descriptions or explanations with appropriate transitions and idiomatic expressions
About Sijal Institute for Arabic Language & Culture
Sijal is an institute of Arabic language and culture founded by scholars of Arab culture, history, and society. We offer outstanding instruction for students of Arabic at all levels. The Institute also acts as a hub of intellectual and cultural events, bringing together scholars, artists, and specialists across a broad range of expertise and disciplines, for seminars, workshops, exhibitions, and informal conversation.
The Institute is housed in a historic villa and gardens lying in the heart of the Rainbow Street cultural district of Amman, Jordan. From this inspiring setting, we host students of the Arabic language, post-graduates working on the Middle East, researchers, artists, and the local intellectual community in Jordan and Palestine.
Surrounded by some of the oldest buildings in Amman, our students learn ‘Arabic in context’, benefiting from first-rate language instruction in line with the latest pedagogy, as well as cultural and historical literacy. Immersion is reinforced by our location in a pedestrian neighborhood packed with local galleries, restaurants, and cafés, and with residents of all ages and walks of life. Courses are enriched by a full calendar of events that take place at the Institute, providing students with the unique opportunity to interact with creative figures from the Arab world and beyond.
Our curriculum was carefully designed and closely overseen by advisors with extensive experience in Arabic instruction at New York University, Harvard University, and Dartmouth College. Qualified and approachable, our instructors craft personalized supervision in a friendly, open, and rigorous intellectual environment.See all Sijal Institute for Arabic Language & Culture courses