- Duration: One semester ( 3 - 4 months)
- Build a strong foundation in all skills in Arabic (listening, speaking, reading, writing, vocabulary, and grammar)
- Introduce cultural awareness
- Read and write in Arabic
- Use courteous and culturally appropriate expressions
- Introduce and identify themselves
- Command an active vocabulary of a few hundred words
- Expand their vocabulary using the root/pattern system and the Arabic dictionary
- Understand the fundamentals of Arab culture and society
- Begin and maintain a simple conversation and exchange information on familiar topics (e.g., themselves, schooling, career and family) using accurate pronunciation and natural forms of expression
- Connect basic sentences in order to provide information on familiar topics
- Relate in some detail what they see, hear and read
- Understand main ideas and some details when listening to sentences or short conversations and some media
- Understand main ideas and many details in some texts containing familiar vocabulary in formal Arabic
- Write a series of sentences in Arabic about a familiar topic or experience (e.g. a short passage on a familiar topic or a polite letter or informal note)
About Sijal Institute for Arabic Language & Culture
Sijal is an institute of Arabic language and culture founded by scholars of Arab culture, history, and society. We offer outstanding instruction for students of Arabic at all levels. The Institute also acts as a hub of intellectual and cultural events, bringing together scholars, artists, and specialists across a broad range of expertise and disciplines, for seminars, workshops, exhibitions, and informal conversation.
The Institute is housed in a historic villa and gardens lying in the heart of the Rainbow Street cultural district of Amman, Jordan. From this inspiring setting, we host students of the Arabic language, post-graduates working on the Middle East, researchers, artists, and the local intellectual community in Jordan and Palestine.
Surrounded by some of the oldest buildings in Amman, our students learn ‘Arabic in context’, benefiting from first-rate language instruction in line with the latest pedagogy, as well as cultural and historical literacy. Immersion is reinforced by our location in a pedestrian neighborhood packed with local galleries, restaurants, and cafés, and with residents of all ages and walks of life. Courses are enriched by a full calendar of events that take place at the Institute, providing students with the unique opportunity to interact with creative figures from the Arab world and beyond.
Our curriculum was carefully designed and closely overseen by advisors with extensive experience in Arabic instruction at New York University, Harvard University, and Dartmouth College. Qualified and approachable, our instructors craft personalized supervision in a friendly, open, and rigorous intellectual environment.See all Sijal Institute for Arabic Language & Culture courses