The Postgraduate Training Program in Anesthesia is formu- lated according to the general guidelnes for the establish- ment of postgraduate training programs recommended by the Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization.
Resident education and training receives high priority in any specialty The training of residents in the field of anesthesia stands out as significantly different among medical special- ties. Few other speciaties have the advantage of one to one instruction between faculy and residents Every effort will be made to ensure that the quaSty of theteaching program matches the exacting standards of patient care delivered on a daily basis. Each resident who completes the training program satisfactorily wil become eigible to be appointed as a Senior Registrar in anesthesia possessing the requisite technical abifities combined with sound cin'cal reasoning.
Curriculum and Program Content
A separate manual describing the curriculum and program content in detail is being prepared for use by the residents, tutors and examiners. A list of the broad areas and subjects that will be covered in this program is outlined in this document.
Basic Training Program
The Basic Training Program will be of The trainee will be expected to develop the necessary skills, knowledge and attitudes relevant to Anesthesia in the follow- ing areas:
- Preoperative assessment.
- Anesthesia, HDU and ICU equipment and safety.
- Induction of general anesthesia.
- Intraoperative care (including sedation).
- Postoperative and recovery room.
- Intensive care medicine and high dependency care.
- Regional anesthesia.
- Management of trauma, stabilization and transfer pa- tients.
- Obstetric anesthesia and analgesia.
- Pediatric anesthesia.
- Anesthesia and elderly.
- Pain management.
- Infection control.
- Critical incidents.
- Management of respiratory and cardiac arrest.
- Physiology and biochemistry.
- Physics and clinical measurement.
- Statistical methods.
- Attitudes towards patients and behavior in the work- place.
The Advanced Training Program will be of The trainee should develop competency in the following areas:
- Key Units of Training
- Cardiac and Thoracic Anesthesia
- Intensive care medicine
- Obstetrics anesthesia
- Pediatric anesthesia
- Pain management both acute and chronic
- Anesthesia for vascular surgery
- Units of General Training
- Day surgery
- Ear, Nose and Throat surgery
- General surgery/gynecology/urology/transplantation
- Regional anesthesia
- Trauma and accidents
- Additional Units of Training
- Diagnostic imaging, anesthesia and sedation
- Maxillo-fadal/dental surgery
- Ophthalmic anesthesia
- Plastic surgery/Burns
- Applied Basic Sciences
- Applied physiology
- Applied clinical pharmacology
- Statistical basis of clinical trial management and Clinical measurement
EXAMINATION AND CERTIFICATION
The board examination consists of two parts:
The Primary Examination will be held once a year. It consists of:
- Multiple-choice questions.
- Two oral examinations.
- OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination).
- Trainees are eligible to sit the examination after 18 months of basic training.
The Final Examination will be held once a year. The examina- tion consists of:
- Multiple-choice questions.
- Two oral examinations
- Clinical examination.
- Trainees are eligible to sit the examination after completion of the advanced training.
Trainees who have satisfactorily completed the rotation pro- gram and have passed the Final Examination will be awarded the Board Certification by the Kuwait Board in Anesthesia (KBA) under the Kuwait Institute of Medical Specialization. This will grant them the privileges of a Specialist in Anesthe- sia.
KIMS was established under a decree issued by HH the Amir of Kuwait. The institute is engaged in a variety of activities, including the organization of internship training of pre-registration medical graduates, specialty training at various levels in different medical fields, and continuing medical education programs for health professionals practicing in Kuwait.See all Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization courses