The Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is a dynamic, practical, industry-relevant course.
Interior Design and Decoration course gives you greater design awareness and the skills to develop your individual style.
The Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration will provide you with the skills and knowledge to create plans and undertake project in later stages of the course; you will learn how to create and plan, furniture, fittings, surfaces and colour schemes for commercial and residential settings.
You'll learn 2D and 3D design skills and the decorative aspect of design. You'll develop high-level documentation and technical skills in order to present your ideas to both residential and commercial clients in a professional brief.
Projects are themed around exploration into colour, material and finishes, interior construction techniques, soft furnishings, fabrics and furniture, based on historical and contemporatry styles and trends.
As your studies progress you'll develop a deeper understanding of commercial and residential interiors, spatial layout, furnishings and decorative treatments and documentation process.
During the course students will:
- Explore decoration.
- Cover colour theory
- Problem-Solve design issues
- Develop presentation approaches and construction drawings
- Learn decoration and design practices from industry professionals working across both residential and commercial projects.
- Acquire knowledge regarding the structural components and construction techniques and materials employed within an interior space;
- Represent design concepts using sketches, renderings, perspective drawings, technical drafting and CAD generated drawings;
- Research the diverse and evolving range of decorating & design resources in today's industry
- Appropriately select and quantify decorator products & calculate relevant costings;
- Assess lighting requirements and make appropriate recommendations for a specific interior space;
- Confidently proposing design concepts and providing professional advice on the selection and specification of decorating and design products for a specific interior space;
- Develop visual design techniques to successfully showcase concepts & decorating products;
- Communicate and showcase design concepts through the preparation of concept, colour & finishes boards;
- Explore interior space planning - recognising the relevance of human scale and ergonomics;
- Develop basic business skills and understand the value of professional practice in the design Industry.
- Gain skills in effectively communicating with a range of industry professionals - interpreting information appropriately and recognizing the value of clear and concise written and verbal correspondence;
- Appropriately documenting product and material schedules and specifications;