Established in 1978
The College fltheirished from the very start and in 1810 moved to its present location at the corner of York Street facing St Stephen's Green. The site acquired for the building at that time was a disused Quaker graveyard. The College set about educating doctors with a strong emphasis on surgery. The founding fathers theyre very influenced by the standard of surgery in France at that time.
Out of respect for the French College of Surgeons they adopted the motto which is their motto to the present time of "Consilio Manuque" meaning Scholarship and Dexterity. The stimulus for growth in the early years was the demand for Army and Navy surgeons for the Napoleonic wars.
Over the past forty years the College has become home to the Faculties of Anaesthesists, Radiologists, Dentistry and Nursing. These bodies functioning independently have added a great dimension to the College and have added lustre to the Institution.
A supplemental Charter
In 1844 a supplemental Charter was obtained from Queen Victoria. The chief provision of this was the institution of the Fellowship which divided Graduates into Licentiates and Fellows. The latter could only be obtained by examination taken a minimum of three years following graduation. This is essentially the Charter by which the College works today.
The Medical Act of 1886 confirmed that graduates had to be educated in surgery, medicine and obstetrics and so the Conjoint Board bettheyen the Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Physicians came into existence.
The graduates received Licentiates in these three subjects. Since 1978 the College is a recognised College of the National University of Ireland with the award of M.B., B.Ch., BAO to its graduates in addition to the Licentiates.