Course detailsWorking with fabric and textiles can be an incredibly rewarding venture, whether it’s for personal or professional gain. From simple tasks like hemming a pair of trousers or customising clothing, to more complicated challenges like making home decoration pieces, the ability to sew is a skill that will always be useful. Mastering a sewing machine, as well as an overlocker and serger, can help you to broaden your sewing skill set, and with this easy to follow content, available in partnership with experts at SewInformed, you’ll have these skills ‘all sewn up’.
This course covers:
- Get to grips with some of the basic features of a serger machine and learn how to set it up, adjust stitch tensions, and understand the terminology used, including the basic and flatlock stitch.
- Learn how to make and use variegated thread by adding up to four threads into each looper, and learn how these can be made into tassels.
- Understand the basic skills required to serge or overlock on mesh, and other open-weave fabrics.
- Learn how to blind hem a garment using a serger or overlocker, and understand the importance of the technique, if wanting to finish a project professionally.
- Understand how to use a serger or overlocker to seam lace pieces.
- Use a 60-degree ruler, and learn how the flatlock stitch can be used to make a table topper.
- Understand how to use your gathering foot to make a quilt using a serger or overlocker.
- Learn how to overlock or serge when using elastic and delicate fabrics.
- Spend time learning the basics of reverse applique, twin needle quilting, curve cutting and curved piecing with the additional, free-standing classes available.
About Harley Oxford
With over 100,000 learners and over 1000 courses, Harley Oxford is one of the leading providers offering online courses.
Interested in learning a new skill or hobby?
- Harley Oxford courses are accessible from anywhere in the world
- Each course is compatible with computers, laptops, tablets and most smartphones
- Each course comes with a course tutor
- Access FREE CV support and job tips
Study a Harley Oxford course at your own pace, from the comfort of your own home, and work towards industry recognised awards that will add value to your CV.
With our range of courses always growing, it is safe to say that at Harley Oxford we have a passion for learning, and that is why we will always go that extra mile for you as well as making sure that you get the best customer services available. If you want to learn more about a course or if you want to find out what course is right for you, let us know.