- Locations: Knowledge Village
- Duration: 1 Day
Effective and respected leaders have a clear starting point – they know the performance and behaviours essential to achieve their vision. They also have the qualities that inspire their people and the behaviours that engage them in pursuit of that vision. Whether you lead a temporary project team, a mix of contractors or a permanent group of staff, understanding and tailoring these principles to your own situation will enhance your leadership credibility and improve the performance of your people.
Run as it features here, or run in-house where the content can be tailored to suit your organisational needs; cost effective if a number of people require training.
Mr Graham Mills de Pledge
Mr David Rees
David Rees MBA, Chartered MCIPD, Fellow of the CMI David worked for 20 years in management roles ranging from team leader through to Senior management before setting up his own training and management consultancy in 1992. Since then he has worked with a wide variety of organisations in the UK, Europe and the Middle East. His clients range from consultants to manufacturing, financial services to pharmaceutical companies, and charities to government agencies. He regularly works with managers and staff in a wide range of organisations to deliver training to all levels. His extensive training experience ranges from public sector organisations to commercial businesses, from the very large to the very small. David obtained his MBA in 1992, is a Chartered Member of the CIPD and a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute.
Who is it for
The course is designed for team leaders, project leaders, junior and middle managers looking for a practical and incisive approach to developing their leadership skills.
On this intense one-day course, you'll learn how to describe your leadership vision in practical detail; specify the leadership characteristics relevant to that vision, identifying those you need to develop further; select the motivational ideas with most potential to motivate and engage your people. You will also identify the pivotal moments when your leadership credibility is on the line and determine how to capitalise on them as opportunities with which to boost your leadership credibility. Finally, with the help of your trainer and other course participants, you will produce a realistic, detailed implementation plan.
- Why leadership is increasingly important
- How the changing nature of work has changed our understanding of what constitutes effective leadership
- What practical ideas we can learn from the major leadership theories
- The effect of comfort zones on our ability to lead
- How management and leadership differ and how they overlap
- How to specify your leadership vision in detail and gain buy-in to it
- Key leadership characteristics; identifying those relevant to your vision; self assessment; identifying those you need to add to your personal development plan
- Motivation and engagement; understanding the significance of engagement and your role in it; understanding different levels of motivation; identifying the level of motivation your people need to achieve your vision; understanding what motivates and what demotivates people at work and which motivators/demotivators are most relevant to your team
- 45 practical motivational ideas – selecting those ideas that will enhance your people’s motivation and engagement
- Understanding the powerful effect of learning and personal development on motivation, engagement and performance
- Identifying the pivotal moments when your leadership credibility is on the line and planning how to handle them
- Implementation planning - developing your practical leadership plan.
The CIPD — the professional body for HR and people development, is the voice of a worldwide community of 140,000 members committed to championing better work and working lives. We’ve been setting the benchmark for excellence in HR and L&D for more than 100 years and we already have more than 2,000 members operating in the Middle East.
CIPD have designed and delivered training programmes in over 50 countries worldwide and provide development programmes for over 15,000 learners a year.See all CIPD courses