- Location: Online
- Duration: 5 Hours
- Timings: Flexible
Portable electrical equipment is found in the majority of workplaces across the UK. To prevent workplace hazards such as electrical fires and electrical shocks, it's important that managers and responsible employees are aware of how to perform maintenance checkups.
This PAT - Portable Appliance Testing Training Course is designed to help you familiarise with testing technical appliances, training you to be able to know how to assess and minimise risks, carry out inspections and understand the safety procedures that need to be in place when using portable appliances at work.
This course is suitable for employers and employees in low-risk workplaces such as shops or offices, who have the responsibility to ensure workplace health and safety. No previous training is required for this course, which can be accessed online from any device.
- Accredited by CPD
- Instant e-certificate and hard copy dispatch by next working day
- Fully online and interactive course with audio voiceover
- Developed by qualified professionals
- Self paced learning and laptop, tablet, smart-phone friendly
- 24/7 Learning Assistance
- Discounts on bulk purchases
Who should take the course
This course is suitable for you if you've got the responsibility for health and safety at low-risk workplaces such as shops, offices, warehouses, etc. This course is ideal for all employees at any level of the business. You'll familiarise with the fundamental knowledge of portable appliance testing. Interestingly, you don't require any prior training or knowledge for enrollment.
Once you've successfully completed your course, you will immediately be sent a digital certificate, with a hard copy arriving in the post within one working day. All of our courses are fully accredited by the CPD, providing you with up-to-date skills and knowledge and helping you to become more competent and effective in your chosen field. Our certifications have no expiry dates, although we do recommend that you renew them every 12 months.
The course is divided into 5 accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end.
- Introduction to Portable Appliance Testing - What is a portable electrical appliance?, portable and movable equipment, what are the risks?, understanding shock risk, electric shock, a little about risk assessment, legislation, who is responsible for PAT testing, duty holders, principles for frequency of testing, the long-term safety of appliances.
- Risk Assessment - Introduction, topics to be covered, what is a risk assessment?, factors to consider during a risk assessment, performing a risk assessment, identifying the hazards, identifying who might be harmed and how, risk evaluation, the hierarchy of control, recording your findings, implementing the necessary controls, who should perform a risk assessment, operatives' obligations during risk assessments, the code of practice for in service inspection and testing of electrical equipment, issues when planning PAT.
- Reducing and Controlling Risks - Introduction, the choice and different kinds of equipment, inspecting equipment, pre-use checks, visual inspections, general things to look for during a visual inspection, inspecting the equipment, reducing risks: fire safety, what must you do to ensure fire safety performing the fire safety risk assessment, itemised process of fire safety risk assessment, emergency procedures, what should be included in your emergency procedures?.
- Combined Inspection and Testing Part - 1 - Introduction, combined inspection and testing, who should carry out the tests, assessing the competence of testers, types equipment and tests, the different classes of equipment, class 1 equipment (earthed), class 2 equipment (double insulated), class 3 equipment.
- Combined Inspection and Testing Part - 2 - the earth leakage test, performing an earth leakage test, the touch current test, substitute earth leakage, selecting the correct tests, IEC leads and extension leads, PAT testers without a two stage power lead test, PAT testing mains extension leads, using the IEC lead tester, the following protocols should be noted, extension lead users should be aware, the different types of electronic testing equipment, voltmeter, ohmmeter, ammeter, multimeter, testing earthed and double-insulated equipment with meters,test stickers and records, faulty or unsuitable equipment.
By the end of the course learners will be able to demonstrate that they can:
- Understand what is meant by PAT and how it can be used to keep low-risk workplaces safe.
- Discover how to complete a risk assessment that will leave your workplace in a safer condition.
- Identify the hazards associated with electrical equipment and portable appliances.
- Explore the various different types of tests, including Class I and Class II.
- Learn how to inspect your equipment to minimise risks.
- Gain relevant knowledge on RIDDOR which can be transferred to a range of other careers.
At the end of the course, there will be an online assessment, which you will need to pass to complete the course. Answers are marked automatically, allowing you to know straight away whether you have passed. If you haven't, there's no limit on the number of times you can take the final exam. All this is included in the one-time fee you paid for the course itself.
Eligibility / Requirements
- This course is available to all learners, of all academic backgrounds.
- Learners should be aged 16 or over to undertake the qualification.
- Good understanding of the English language, numeracy and ICT are required to attend this course.
About Training Express
The Training Express is a group of experts based in the United Kingdom, delivering high-quality certification and training to businesses and individuals looking to better themselves. We work in various disciplines and industries, with our primary point of concern being to help promote high standards of food hygiene, business well-being and safety in the workplace.
By helping you to bring in professionals who can make the right choice, to improving safety standards, we offer numerous course managed by qualified professionals. We do this by always improving our course quality and quantity, always introducing new opportunities for you to better yourself as a person and as professionals.
Standards are very important to us, which is why we only work with trainers and professionals who we can 100% trust. This allows us to get the job done much easier, always sourcing the right experts and the most qualified trainers in the shortest space of time. This helps us to deliver professionally respected and reputable online learning situations to help increase the standards of professionalism and safety at work.See all Training Express courses
- Electrical Safety Echo3 EducationGBP 14
GBP 22Duration: Upto 1 Hour
- Electrical Safety Awareness in the Workplace Harley OxfordGBP 29
GBP 206Duration: Upto 20 Hours
- Confined Space Hazards Echo3 EducationGBP 14
GBP 22Duration: Upto 1 Hour