As a parent of a child with autism, it can be a daunting task looking for help and information. This 35 minute class will begin the conversation to prepare you and your family for living with autism. I have been working with individuals and autism spectrum disorder since 1980. Currently, I am the Director of Staff Development for the Massachusetts Department of Developmental Services. This ensures my varied background working with families.
I can offer you direction, support and assistance in speaking with professionals. I can help you talk about autism with your family and friends. In this course, you will learn:
1. What can I do as a parent of a child with autism?
2. What resources are out there for families who have children with autism?
3. How do I talk to my family and friends about autism and our child?
4. What therapies are available for individuals with autism?
5. How do I "speak" about autism with the professionals?
6. What do all the autism acronyms mean?
Today, almost everyone knows someone with autism. And yet, there is rarely any information on how we can support a family with this diagnosis. All too often, because people don't know what to do…they do nothing! I will provide you with guidance on having that conversation with friends and family. You will need those close to you to have understanding about how this affects your family. I will provide you with guidance on having that conversation with "The Professionals". It may not be easy…but you will need them.
I commend and praise you for taking these first steps in educating yourself about your child's autism.
You know what they say 'knowledge is power' and you will need both!
This will be a life-long journey. Dr. V-Updated on 01 November, 2014