Crime Writing DiplomaThis course on Crime Writing is ideal for those with an existing interest in the crime fiction genre, as either a reader or amateur writer, looking to master the detailed and specific skills that they need to begin a rewarding and successful writing career in this thrilling field.The wide-ranging and varied course is split into ten interactive and intuitive modules and covers all of the knowledge and skills that you need to get started and make an impact as an author in the crime fiction market.
What you will learnThis course covers these key areas in detail, plus much more:
- The qualities and characteristics of a great crime fiction writer and some of the benefits and rewards that you can enjoy as a writer in this varied field
- An overview of some of the key sub-genres within crime fiction and a closer look at the fascinating careers and writing styles of some of the world’s best-selling crime authors
- Deciding on your own particular writing style and identifying your all-important target readership groups
- Tried and tested techniques to plan and build a gripping plot for your crime story
- Great ways to structure and pace your story, including how to effectively build suspense and intrigue by using clues, red herrings and other techniques to keep your readers guessing
- How to choose the setting of your crime novel, including deciding on a great location for your book and the best time period in which to base your novel
- The importance of writing a thrilling and compelling start to your book and how to do it, including an overview of the use of prologues and backstories
- How to create thrilling, intriguing and believable characters for your crime novel, with a particular focus on creating interesting detective characters
- The different roles that dialogue can play in your novel and how to write exceptional dialogue, both creatively and grammatically
- How to write thrilling descriptions using a variety of stylistic devices to add interest and enrich your writing
- Factors to consider when deciding on your crime scene and how to craft a superb ending to your novel that will both satisfy and intrigue your readers
- How to generate new ideas for your story, including great tips on how to tap into your own creative reserves and how to use automatic plot generators
- Choosing a title, front cover and blurb for your novel which will hook potential readers to find out more
- How to make mainstream and niche publishing houses sit up and pay attention to your novel
- The rise of self-publishing and great ways to build a successful online presence for your e-book.
Benefits of taking the Crime Writing DiplomaEach module will provide you with a wealth of information and some expert tips to broaden your creative writing skills and will equip you with everything that you need to hit the ground running and get started writing your very own crime fiction novel.The Crime Writing Diploma offers students the following benefits:
- The ability to study anywhere at times that suit you
- Study at your own pace, with no deadlines: complete it as quickly or as slowly as you like
- Use any internet enabled device to study on, including computers, tablets and mobile phones
- Follow the course easily thanks to interesting, informative modules, which make studying fun
- A convenient online support system, helping you to stay on track throughout the course
- A comprehensive curriculum, providing you with the knowledge you need to begin writing crime novels.
- Earn a certified, recognised diploma
- An affordable cost
Who should take this course?If you are already an avid reader of crime fiction and have always wanted to try your hand at writing your own crime novel, this course is the ideal starting point for you. It is also particularly useful for those with some previous writing experience in other genres who want to deepen their understanding of the crime fiction field. However, this course has been specifically designed to require no previous knowledge of creative writing. Updated on 08 July, 2018
Job roles this course is suitable for:Crime Writing Diploma
About New Skills Academy
In November of 2013, a single question was asked: ‘What do you want to learn?’ From there, a vision was born of comprehensive, high quality, and affordable online course availability. The name behind that vision was New Skills Academy.
When it comes to online schools, there are plenty, but at New Skills Academy we distinguish ourselves amongst the competition with our dedication to your long-term goals. If you are entering a job market for the first time, or seeking a new career, we will provide you with the fast and efficient online support you need to make your dreams a reality.
Our expertly designed courses, detailed lesson plans and student testimonials all attest to the fact that we take great pride in our course offerings and provide only the best for our students. Often, people dream of pursuing a degree or certification but never find the time to follow through. We know life gets busy, which is why our customers can take our courses online from anywhere while still working. Students can access our courses from a PC, mobile phone or tablet; this means you can learn anywhere you go.
Our students’ reputation matters, which is why all of our online courses have been reviewed and certified in partnership with qualified industry experts. For added security and peace of mind, all of our courses have been approved by CPD.